Town of Blowing Rock Seal
Town of Blowing Rock Seal
Town of Blowing Rock Seal
Town Government
Helpful Links
Other Links

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

Tank Removal

Do I need a fire protection permit for tank removal?

Fire Prevention Inspections are performed on set schedules prescribed by the NC State Building Code and are administered by the Fire Department. Inspections are mandated on existing commercial buildings. Fire protection permits are required for new construction projects including fire alarms, sprinkler systems, fire suppression systems for cooking operations, blasting permits, demolition permits, and tank removal. For more information contact the Emergency Services Department.

Fire Inspector 828 295-5220

Tax Assessment

Who assesses my property and motor vehicle tax?

All real and personal property tax and motor vehicle tax is assessed by your county of residence for citizens of Blowing Rock. Please contact Watauga County 828 265-8021 or Caldwell County 828 757-1321

Town Attorney

What are the responsibilities of the Town Attorney?
The Town Attorney advises the Council and various Town Boards, the Town Manager, and Department Heads on legal matters and procedures. He prepares certain ordinances, resolutions, agreements, deeds, leases, and other miscellaneous legal documents. The Town Attorney is Mr. Allen Moseley with Deal, Moseley & Smith LLP. You may contact the Town Attorney at 828 264-4734.

Town Board Meetings

When are Town Board meetings?

The Blowing Rock Board of Commissioners meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at Blowing Rock Town Hall. The public is urged to attend. The meeting is also shown on the Local Access channel at 7:00 p.m. on the Thursday following the meeting. The Board of Commissioners is the policy-making body of the Town of Blowing Rock. It is made up of a mayor and five commissioners, all of whom are elected at-large. The Mayor serves a two year term and the Town Commissioners serve four year staggered terms. Filing for office occurs every two years during July with the deadline occurring at noon on the first Friday of August. Candidates file at the Courthouse in Boone with the Watauga Board of Elections 828 265-8061.

Requests to be placed on the agenda and appear before the Town Board of Commissioners must be made in writing to Town Hall on the fourth Monday of the month preceding the next meeting. If a concern is specific in nature and would not be a policy-type issue, citizens are encouraged to contact the appropriate Town department or Town Hall 828 295-5200.

Further information about the Board of Commissioners is available under Town Government on this website.

Town Codes / Land Use Code

Where can I get a copy of the Land Use Ordinance?

Copies of the Land Use Ordinances are available in our office for a fee of $30.00. A digital copy is available online.

Planning and Inspections 828 295-5240

Town Council

What are the responsibilities of the Town Council?

See Board of Commissioners under "Services A-Z."

Town Manager

What does the Town Manager do?

The Town of Blowing Rock operates under a council/manager form of government. The Town Manager is charged with administering the day-to-day operations of town government as well as implementing the policies enacted by the Town Board of Commissioners. To contact the Town Manager, please call Town Hall.

Town Hall 828 295-5200

Traffic Control Signs

How can I request a traffic-control sign?

To request a traffic-control sign or signal, call Town Hall 828 295-5200.

Traffic Signals

How can I request new traffic signals?

Traffic signals are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). Contact NCDOT regarding requests for new traffic signals or further information.

North Carolina Department of Transportation 828 265-5380

Tree Ordinance

Where can I find information about Tree Ordinance?

Currently the Town is working to improve its Tree Ordinance. Both the Town Landscape Specialist and the Department of Planning and Inspections are involved in this process. If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact Town Hall or the Department of Planning and Inspections.

Town Hall 828 295-5200 Planning and Inspections 828 295-5240


Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?

Yes. In most cases, any tree over 18 in diameter is protected from removal. However, if a tree is damaged, dead, and/or poses a threat to life or property, that tree may be removed by first obtaining a clearing permit from the Planning Department.

Designed by ARDI Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!